Thursday, June 26, 2008

Whirlwind

Hey guys,

It's been good hearing from everyone. Jason, I'm particularly glad that you're adjusting well into your life as a management consultant by numbering your thoughts. For your next post, could you please describe the four "buckets" that your thoughts will be placed into. Thank you. Chetan, I'm also glad that you're adjusting well to your post-college lifestyle as an alcholic. Could you please write your next post drunk?

My life has been really hectic since graduation. Here's the quick run-down (in easily digestible, consultant-friendly, numbered format):

1) The morning after graduating (May 27th--I'm not kidding) I went to Boston because I had to start this training for my job on "Evaluating Social Programs" at MIT. The catch was I had to be at MIT by 8:30 AM, which meant I had to leave New Haven for Boston at 4:30 AM. That sucked. It especially sucked that we had stuff to do from 8:30 until 6:00 PM that night. I was a complete Zombie the entire time. I was at the training from May 27th-31st. The training was all right--I had gotten a lot of the material from various classes before--but I did get to meet a bunch of interesting people. The mix of people at the training was interesting. Staying in Boston was also awesome.

2) Then I went back to New Haven to work for two weeks. My lease on my apartment went till June 15th, so I just stuck around and worked doing research assistant stuff for the econ professor I work for. That was nice and chill, a fair number of people (including Travis and Leland) were around New Haven and I got to see Joe one weekend and a family friend the next which was cool.

3) Went back to Kalamazoo for 1 day.

4) Met up with Joe and Kafka and Karlin in Chicago. This was awesome. Chicago is one of my favorite cities, especially during the summer, and it was beautiful the entire time we were there. We went out to bars a lot, hung out along the lake, Kafka vommitted, went to some museums, and went to the Cubs/White Sox game at Wrigley. The game was AWESOME. The cubs were down 3-1 in the 7th and hit 2 homers to tie the game. Then in the bottom of the 9th the cubs hit a walk off home-run and Wrigley went nuts. During the game we realized that Karlin had been cheering when either team scored, so we asked him who he was rooting for and he just paused and said "I'm rooting for the offense", which based on his actions, seemed accurate.

5) Now I'm back in Kalamazoo, hanging out until I head down to Peru. I'm just about to buy my plane ticket to fly down to Peru on August 21st, which feels weird. But I'm getting excited to go. I also know what project I'm working on at first. Here's a link to the description: http://www.povertyactionlab.com/projects/project.php?pid=19

Because I just got back to Kalamazoo last Saturday I really haven't had much time to do this "processing" of having graduated.

On a more important note, here is the Best Video of All Time: http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=06&year=2008&base_name=big_bad_john

Sincerely,
Big Bad Al

1 comment:

j ferrugia said...

Good lord that video is terrifying. Almost as terrifying as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ypVEXtb5s