Friday, July 25, 2008

Back in Summer Camp

Yo,

Hope that you guys are still doing well and enjoying the summer. Sorry if your last days of freedom have been cut off by the man, don't let him get you down.

For the last month, I've been in Equinunk, PA, working at the summer camp that I used to go to as a kid. Haven't been back for the last seven years, but I grew up at this camp, going there from 1995-2001. I was a little nervous to go back, since most of the guys working there are younger than me, save one of my good friends Judd. But the experience has been pretty amazing. I'm reliving my childhood: I wake up to the sound of reveille at 7:30 am, eat breakfast in the mess hall, clean up for an hour, ref three periods of sports, relax before lunch, eat lunch, relax during "rest hour," three more activities, shower, dinner, evening activity, bed. No clocks, worries, internet, cell service, shitters that are big enough, etc. Even though my 11 yr. old campers can get pretty annoying and disgusting (they debate over what "masturbate" actually means), it is fun being around kids for a change. They say and do ridiculous things, like back channel negotiations to figure out who is dating who at the socials because they're too scared to actually talk to the girls.

As for the adults at the camp, they're alright. A lot of them are still 17 or 18, pre-frosh. They've never been to a bar before, but every night off we go to "The View," a shitty backcountry bar where everyone gets stoned and drunk off their ass. It is sometimes pretty annoying hanging out with them, but there are some pretty fun moments.

The days are all really long, but the weeks pass really quickly. I only have about three weeks left at camp, and I'm going to try to soak it up because I'll never have a summer like this again.

I am currently in NYC on my day off to visit Laura, and hopefully meet up with Yale people in the process. My sister also got married two weeks ago, and I was not emotionally prepared.

I miss you all. Speak soon. KIT.

Lovies,
J

No comments: